Skip to main content

Album Reviews - Lupe and Mumford







Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album – Lupe Fiasco
See my full review of this album on HypeGirls.com

Below is an excerpt:


‘…Food & Liquor II…’is more a prompt for realization than a call for celebration. With rappers showing us daily how they blow money and live charmed lives, it’s easy for us to forget that there are still ghettos, kids are still killing kids, and the things we allow – even the nonchalant ones like calling each other ‘bitch’ and ‘ho’ and celebrating men who do the same – are doing more harm than good.



Babel – Mumford & Sons

I’ll admit I’ve been putting off listening to 'Babel'. The problem is, I knew I would like it. And because I’m trying really hard not to go to concerts until I’m well on my way out of debt, I have to fight to dislike new music just enough not to pay to see the songs performed live. Also, there are some Mumford... songs I don’t think I could see live without bawling. Another story.

‘Babel’ is much of the same thing from Mumford and Sons, which is actually a good thing. The new installment is less mellow than the last and more of a hootenanny (much like their cover suggests). But of course they saved room for a few balladesque offerings. The arrangements are planned with care and the harmonies are expressive. Much like the Chili Peppers, Black Keys and the like – if Mumford and Sons continue creating music with the same basic recipe I think they will hit home runs from now until forever. 

Only two this week. I've been recovering from Vegas. Check out my previous post to learn why. 

*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Will Replace Gossip Girl, But Riverdale Is Close or Teen Shows I've Watched Lately

Each day I live and breathe, I'm inching closer to a time when I will no longer understand and will therefore lose the capacity to truly love a teen drama. But I'm not there yet, and I'm (still) searching for something to fill the void Gossip Girl  left when it was revealed that Lonely Boy was the one putting the words in Kristin Bell's mouth. Gossip Girl first aired after an episode of America's Next Top Model.  I remember this because my mother and I used to watch ANTM together in the days before girls started auditioning just so they could meet Tyra. But neither of us could leave the room once Gossip Girl's  pilot began. We were both hooked immediately, and it would be a show we enjoyed together even after I left home for another city hours away, and then another state halfway across the country. GG was corny at times, and it had its pitfalls (how did Chuck Bass start Season 1 by trying to rape little Jenny and end it by kicking off what would become ...

Cold War Kids iHeart Radio Album Release Party - My Quick Opinions

I've seen the Cold War Kids twice now, and my favorite thing about seeing them is they love to let people see them for free in Los Angeles. A free show is always the right idea. This time I got to see them at the iHeart Radio stage in Burbank, California. It's a very cool space, and the staff is super nice. Part of this iHeart Radio streaming party was a line of questioning from iHeart Radio personality. It was cool to hear lead singer Nathan Willett talk about his love for Los Angeles and desire to use their new album, LA Divine,  to set the record straight about the city's perception. He told Billboard the album is "the best version of what [they've] always done," and I agree. There's nothing particularly outstanding about the new album. There's no new, adventurous sound. The freshest thing about LA Divine is the effect the tumultuous year that was 2016 had on the lyrics. For example, Nathan told an amazing story about an art piece in New ...

I'm tired of trying to explain

I went on a trip home to Oklahoma last week. I brought Jersey Mike for his first real visit to the state and his first time meeting my friends. It was fantastic and fun. I'd love to tell you all about it. But I can't right now. I can't focus on anything right now.  Upon returning to Los Angeles, I logged onto Twitter and started seeing headlines about the Charleston shooting. I immediately turned it off. At first I felt wrong about doing it. At first I felt like I should face it head-on, get angry, put on my activist hat and get to work.  But I didn't. I couldn't do it.  I'd just gotten home from being surrounded by love. Yes, being back in Oklahoma I heard conversations filled with intolerance. I needed to point out and shut down a few comments that were insensitive and just plain rude. That's something I've gotten used to when visiting home. I'm surrounded by liberals and hippies here in Los Angeles. We are a melting pot of colors,...