Skip to main content

Earsnack Time with John Mayer, Janelle Monaé and White Denim

It's Earsnack time!! 
I know. It's my favorite time, too. So let's get to it. 

White Denim - ALL OF THE SONGS!!! Seriously. 

What's Mario's favorite fabric?
denim-denim-denim
What's my new favorite band?
White Denim!
Have you heard of these guys? If you have, you're in BIG trouble for not telling me about them because they oh-so-rock. Their sound is eclectic and psychedelic with a little bit of soul. mmm, magnific!  I highly suggest checking all of their stuff out on +Spotify. Their new album drops October 29, so you'll want to be prepared. There will be a quiz. 

My faves:
'I'd Have It Just The Way We Were'  - Heavy, dizzying percussion plus R&B-esque melody makes for a song I'll play on repeat. 
'At The Farm' - This song is basically a jam session. No vocals, just instruments. Who doesn't love that?!
'Street Joy' - Smooth, etherial, classic. This is the quintessential late summer song. You can almost see the sun setting on the west coast when you listen to it. Almost. le sigh.

I'm now accepting donations in order to afford to go to their show with The Flaming Lips and Tame Impala in October. I want to go almost as badly as I want to go to the +Justin Timberlake show in November. So far it looks like I'm not going to either.
SAD FACE!


John Mayer - Paradise Valley

New +John Mayer, woo-hoo!! Though it gets a touch bluegrass at times, the new album shows Mayer retracting from the backwoods mountain sound of 'Born And Raised' and working his way back to his signature sound. The guitar still sings just as sweet as his voice. It's a solid album. 

Highlights (I don't have favorites yet. I need to listen another ten times first.)
'Paper Doll' - Let's be frank: this song is about +Taylor Swift. It cuts like a knife, man. I wonder how she feels about someone finally releasing a song about her. 
'Who You Love' - John Mayer and +Katy Perry are pulling a Jay and Bey: recording a song together. It's all kinds of corny, if you like that sort of thing. I love the way Katy Perry's voice sounds in this song. Even better than I feel she sounds on her own poppy pieces of radio candy. 
'Wildfire' ft. Frank Ocean - Aww...John and Frank did a tradesie! Just like the song with John Mayer on Frank Ocean's album, this song is super short; not enough yet just enough. 



Janelle Monaé ft. Miguel - Primetime

Hooray for Janelle Monaé's new album coming out FINALLY.
Well, not yet, but soon. As in less than a month from now on September 10! The album features duets with Erykah Badu, Prince (PRINCE!!!!!) and this track with Miguel. 

If you've read my blog/know me at all, you know I'm obsessed with Miguel. He can do no wrong. Kick an audience member in the head during a performance? I forgive you. Get arrested for diving under the influence? That's okay, boo. 
This song is no different. I can't help but think of 'Where Is My Mind' by The Pixies due to the consistent 'ooo'-ing throughout the track. But in my opinion that's not a bad thing. The tune is just the right amount of sensual. I lurves it. 
You can listen to it here and lurve it, too!


Enjoy these yummy earsnacks!

*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold War Kids iHeart Radio Album Release Party - My Quick Opinions

I've seen the Cold War Kids twice now, and my favorite thing about seeing them is they love to let people see them for free in Los Angeles. A free show is always the right idea. This time I got to see them at the iHeart Radio stage in Burbank, California. It's a very cool space, and the staff is super nice. Part of this iHeart Radio streaming party was a line of questioning from iHeart Radio personality. It was cool to hear lead singer Nathan Willett talk about his love for Los Angeles and desire to use their new album, LA Divine,  to set the record straight about the city's perception. He told Billboard the album is "the best version of what [they've] always done," and I agree. There's nothing particularly outstanding about the new album. There's no new, adventurous sound. The freshest thing about LA Divine is the effect the tumultuous year that was 2016 had on the lyrics. For example, Nathan told an amazing story about an art piece in New ...

Nothing Will Replace Gossip Girl, But Riverdale Is Close or Teen Shows I've Watched Lately

Each day I live and breathe, I'm inching closer to a time when I will no longer understand and will therefore lose the capacity to truly love a teen drama. But I'm not there yet, and I'm (still) searching for something to fill the void Gossip Girl  left when it was revealed that Lonely Boy was the one putting the words in Kristin Bell's mouth. Gossip Girl first aired after an episode of America's Next Top Model.  I remember this because my mother and I used to watch ANTM together in the days before girls started auditioning just so they could meet Tyra. But neither of us could leave the room once Gossip Girl's  pilot began. We were both hooked immediately, and it would be a show we enjoyed together even after I left home for another city hours away, and then another state halfway across the country. GG was corny at times, and it had its pitfalls (how did Chuck Bass start Season 1 by trying to rape little Jenny and end it by kicking off what would become ...

I'm tired of trying to explain

I went on a trip home to Oklahoma last week. I brought Jersey Mike for his first real visit to the state and his first time meeting my friends. It was fantastic and fun. I'd love to tell you all about it. But I can't right now. I can't focus on anything right now.  Upon returning to Los Angeles, I logged onto Twitter and started seeing headlines about the Charleston shooting. I immediately turned it off. At first I felt wrong about doing it. At first I felt like I should face it head-on, get angry, put on my activist hat and get to work.  But I didn't. I couldn't do it.  I'd just gotten home from being surrounded by love. Yes, being back in Oklahoma I heard conversations filled with intolerance. I needed to point out and shut down a few comments that were insensitive and just plain rude. That's something I've gotten used to when visiting home. I'm surrounded by liberals and hippies here in Los Angeles. We are a melting pot of colors,...