Skip to main content

A Weekend Getaway In Solvang, California

For an unemployed gal, I sure do get around. 

I'm doing my best to enjoy this time. In the past when I've been without work or worried about the future, I've wasted so much energy worrying about what's coming next. This time I'm absorbing every bit of each day because soon I may be wishing I had more me time. Some days are so much harder than others. But this past weekend made appreciating the simple... simpler.


My first morning in Solvang, aka "Dutch Disneyland," started with a ridiculously yummy breakfast on a sun-filled and dog-friendly patio, complete with lemonade and mango/pineapple mimosas. 


Yeah, it's like that. 

Our first adventure was to visit the Ostrich and Emu farm near town. 

Jersey Mike had a friggin' blast feeding those beasts. He kept murmuring something about Jurassic Park feet and mentioned he had become "one with the Ostrich," whatever that means. 


 I gave it a shot feeding the emus. They were hungry little suckers. The food looked like gerbil pellets and I immediately wondered if that's anything close to what these birds are supposed to be eating. 

Sonic was mostly traumatized by the entire experience. He was barking and whining and clawing and scratching. I got so defensive when Jersey Mike told me to let him go because he was just curious. I was not in the mood to have some giant, evil, prehistoric looking bird peck my puppy to death. But perhaps I overreacted. Either way, he took Sonic closer to get a better look. 


Then a pretty hilarious photo op:

As if that wasn't enough to wear the poor pup out, we continued toward a park for a quick game of frisbee golf. Can I tell you that I have become obsessed with frisbee golf? 

It's easy. It's fun. Games take place in parks where Sonic can usually tag along. He gets tired. I get tired. We all get tired. Everyone gets fresh air. Then we drink. It's spectacular. 


Sonic may have run through a little poison oak following Jersey Mike's "let him explore" experiment. Poor dog. Skunked on Easter, Poison Oaked in Solvang. He just can't win. (He's fine now, one trip to the groomer for a soothing bath and a haircut worked wonders).  

 Next, our adventure took us to the beach. Surf Beach to be exact. It was gorgeous and peaceful. 

 It remained peaceful and gorgeous even after some hippy dude walked up to us and asked JM if he'd found his Havaianas sandals there on the beach. 
"No man, these are my shoes. That I brought."
"Oh. Cool."
Good times. 

Having soaked up about as much tourism as one could handle for a day, we went back to our 
COTTAGE in Solvang. 


Yeah, read that once more. It was a COTTAGE, bruh.

It was huge and adorable.

And we immediately made a mess of things. So immediate, in fact, that I wasn't able to snap a picture before nap time. Though the urge was strong, I was able to avoid making the bed or doing anything close to actual chores all weekend. My will power amazes me. 

Then we were at a complete loss for what to do. Oh wait, no we weren't. The brewery was located literally across the street from our COTTAGE. So, dinner happened. Then beer happened. Then more beer. Then dessert and then...

Pints. Pints happened. 


 Adventures are fun, but adventures with alcohol are more fun. So our plan for day two heavily revolved around drinking. Or revolved around heavy drinking. You decide. 

After brunch we headed toward the Carivintâs Winery. It's a cute wine tasting room that welcomes pets indoors. We tasted all of their wines (they had 9) and then had a full glass each.

Meanwhile, Sonic mingled with other furry sommeliers. 

Next we walked around some of the adorable shops and streets in town until we stumbled into a little bar called the Good Life specializing in California craft beer and wine. Bonus: Sonic was welcome there, too!  

The good news is that the bad news isn't quite so bad. After getting my chillax on all weekend, I came back to a few extremely positive career advances. Nothing is set in stone, but I'm hoping to have some great news to share soon. 

The super good news is that taking advantage of this time off is really opening my eyes to what makes me tick. It seems each time I have too much free time, I'm forced to dig deeper than I normally have energy to dig. During my last long bout of unemployment I discovered how much I truly wanted to be a writer, as well as my desire to teach yoga someday. This time I'm learning more about my thoughts, my emotions, my moods, and how I let the tiniest things blast me into utter hopelessness. Things are not hopeless. Far from! Life is amazing. Sure, this is a struggle. There are days when I wake up and have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do or how the next month is even going to work. I get down on myself because I'm supposed to "have it figured out." 

But then I laugh because literally no one has it figured out. Perhaps for me figuring it out does not entail a senior level office job. Maybe it's coming to terms with the fact that a position like that won't make me happy unless I'm happy without it. 

Today, right now, this week: I'm so happy. 

*





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Will Replace Gossip Girl, But Riverdale Is Close or Teen Shows I've Watched Lately

Each day I live and breathe, I'm inching closer to a time when I will no longer understand and will therefore lose the capacity to truly love a teen drama. But I'm not there yet, and I'm (still) searching for something to fill the void Gossip Girl  left when it was revealed that Lonely Boy was the one putting the words in Kristin Bell's mouth. Gossip Girl first aired after an episode of America's Next Top Model.  I remember this because my mother and I used to watch ANTM together in the days before girls started auditioning just so they could meet Tyra. But neither of us could leave the room once Gossip Girl's  pilot began. We were both hooked immediately, and it would be a show we enjoyed together even after I left home for another city hours away, and then another state halfway across the country. GG was corny at times, and it had its pitfalls (how did Chuck Bass start Season 1 by trying to rape little Jenny and end it by kicking off what would become ...

Cold War Kids iHeart Radio Album Release Party - My Quick Opinions

I've seen the Cold War Kids twice now, and my favorite thing about seeing them is they love to let people see them for free in Los Angeles. A free show is always the right idea. This time I got to see them at the iHeart Radio stage in Burbank, California. It's a very cool space, and the staff is super nice. Part of this iHeart Radio streaming party was a line of questioning from iHeart Radio personality. It was cool to hear lead singer Nathan Willett talk about his love for Los Angeles and desire to use their new album, LA Divine,  to set the record straight about the city's perception. He told Billboard the album is "the best version of what [they've] always done," and I agree. There's nothing particularly outstanding about the new album. There's no new, adventurous sound. The freshest thing about LA Divine is the effect the tumultuous year that was 2016 had on the lyrics. For example, Nathan told an amazing story about an art piece in New ...

I'm tired of trying to explain

I went on a trip home to Oklahoma last week. I brought Jersey Mike for his first real visit to the state and his first time meeting my friends. It was fantastic and fun. I'd love to tell you all about it. But I can't right now. I can't focus on anything right now.  Upon returning to Los Angeles, I logged onto Twitter and started seeing headlines about the Charleston shooting. I immediately turned it off. At first I felt wrong about doing it. At first I felt like I should face it head-on, get angry, put on my activist hat and get to work.  But I didn't. I couldn't do it.  I'd just gotten home from being surrounded by love. Yes, being back in Oklahoma I heard conversations filled with intolerance. I needed to point out and shut down a few comments that were insensitive and just plain rude. That's something I've gotten used to when visiting home. I'm surrounded by liberals and hippies here in Los Angeles. We are a melting pot of colors,...