Skip to main content

Show Review: The Flaming Lips, Tame Impala

To start, a bitter rant:
It is nearly impossible to see the opening act of a show in Los Angeles. 
I love seeing openers. Why, you ask? Because I can look back and say things like "I saw +Jhene Aiko before she was on that Drake album, when she opened for Nas and Lauryn Hill," or "Brandy (Norwood) was so cute when she opened for MC Hammer back in the day." 

When we heard about the concert featuring The Flaming Lips and +Tame Impala, we were actually searching for local shows for +White Denim, a pretty effing awesome band out of Austin, TX.  Because LA is so ridiculously spread out and so many people live here that there is too much God-forsaken traffic, it was impossible for us to get to +The Greek Theatre when doors opened at 7 p.m.

We missed White Denim just barely. We could hear them playing as we walked up, but by the time we entered the viewing area they were done. It just so happened they played a show the following night at +Amoeba in Hollywood but, for the same reasons, I couldn't make it. 

I'll catch them the next time around. But - just so you know - I was upset about it. VERY UPSET. 

On to happier things. This was my first visit +The Greek Theatre. One thing I didn't realize is that it's an outdoor venue. Feel free to laugh and make fun of me for being a newbie. I was so cold! Lucky for me, Jersey Mike brought me gloves and let me steal his hoodie because he "wasn't cold at all." 

Having missed White Denim, we sat for just a few minutes and then enjoyed +Tame Impala
Via www.losanjealous.com
Those Aussie guys rocked, man! Amazing psychedelic jams that went on and on. There were glitches in their screened light show and we had trouble discerning if the mistakes were planned or not. Either way, it worked. Also, their drummer, Julien Babagallo, made my life with his hair alone. His talent was just a bonus. 

via www.losanjealous.com

. Next up were The Flaming Lips. Because I'm an Okie to the core I've been through my rite of passage by seeing the 'Lips already. They have pretty elaborate sets usually, so I was amazed at how quickly they were ready to roll.

Their intro blew my mind, guys. Being Halloween week, they came out playing the 'Halloween' theme with tons of confetti and huge red balloons. Everyone was wearing a costume, including lead man Wayne Coyne as 'Carrie.' 
via www.neontommy.com
I've listened to newer things from the 'Lips, but not extensively. So I was very surprised to find that I knew most of the songs they played. People worship The Flaming Lips in Oklahoma. The crowd looses their minds. The crowd here in LA seemed too calm for me.
The too-chill crowd was just the first bummer. One minute we were on a Flaming rock trip, jammin' away. The next minute there was a sharp cut to 'Do You Realize?' and a sign off from the band. At first I thought the crowd wasn't hype enough and the 'Lips just got bored and called it quits. It turns out they had to end because it was 11:45 at night and The Greek is located in a residential area. I was super sad face about it, but that's how it had to be. 

I loved being at The Greek. Seeing The Flaming Lips made me homesick, but in a good way. Tame Impala were fantastic. I'm sad we missed White Denim, but they will be back around again once they're done touring overseas (hopefully). They just released a new album, Corsicana Lemonade, so they'll be back. Right? Yeah, they'll be back. They always come back.

Tonight I'm headed to The Fonda Theater to see +The 1975. That's two shows in one week! I may have failed at celebrating Halloween, but I've got my concert game on point.

Warning: leave now if you're adverse to couple cuteness.
 Jersey Mike and I went to The Flaming Lips/Tame Impala show to...
1) watch two amazing bands because we're live music junkies and 2) celebrate (drunkenly) meeting each other one year ago. And what lucky drunken lovebirds are we! Look how adorable we are reppin' our home states:



He's awesome. I love him. That is all.

*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

why wide awake?

i'm accepting the fact that i can't sleep. it's 2 a.m. and i'm going to be REALLY sorry in about four hours. i have a lot on my mind. usually when that happens i sleep a lot, which is what i've been doing the last week. perhaps i've used up all of my sleep hours. my little- doggie -sonic, on the other hand, has done nothing but sleep since i picked him up from doggie daycare today. YES!! sonic went to doggie daycare for the first time today. well, yesterday. since The Man left he has been really clingy and over protective. he growls and barks at every little thing, and he's always full of energy now that he is alone all day. i figured the best affordable solution is a day at doggie daycare each week. last weekend he passed his temperament test at The Pampered Pet , so we set his all day appointment. when i dropped him off wednesday morning it broke my heart. he didn't understand why i couldn't go with him to the play room. the lady had to pic

Last Week in Pix + 2x2 - Long Weekend Bliss

Last week was STRESSFUL.  Work was the normal amount of unnecessary crap. Bad weather near my hometown was no fun at all.  Let's just say this long weekend could not have come at a better time.  FRIDAY; Raise A Glass For Oklahoma!  happened at SOUTH in Santa Monica. We are still waiting for the final report from the bar, but we are pretty sure we reached our goal to raise $1000 for Feed The Children in Oklahoma City. Check out the progress here: https://app.mobilecause.com/public/social/7524  It was great that people were down to help out. We had amazing raffle prizes, the bar is donating 15% of the night's sales, and a lot of Oklahomies showed up, which was just wonderful. And because the more we drank the more money the bar would donate...we drank a fair amount. SATURDAY & SUNDAY: Yoga did not happen. I tried really hard, but all of my donation drinking said no.  I finally got rolling in the afternoon, packed up my stuff and Sonic

Justice for Georgina, aka Go See Get Out Immediately

WARNING: ALL OF THE SPOILERS. LIKE, SO MANY SPOILERS. GO SEE THE MOVIE. THAT'S AN ORDER.  In Get Out , the brilliant new Jordan Peele film, black people are used by white people's brains.  That's the shortest explanation, as there are so many levels to the movie. I'm typically not one to see scary movies (I can't even get through Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video), but when I read about this movie's perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes and the raving reviews from critics, I had to go and support this film from a black director with black stars. I'm not a fan of scary movies. They always give me nightmares. Before I saw the film, a coworker assured me that I wouldn't have nightmares after watching  Get Out . He was right and wrong. I didn't have nightmares about monsters lurking in dark corners, but I stayed awake unpacking all of the themes and metaphors of the film. In doing so, a big part of why I wasn't afraid occurred to