Skip to main content

Words Never Die - Rest In Heaven Dr. Maya Angelou

Heaven gained an angel today. A woman who "flung" songs up at heaven, fought for equal rights for women and minorities, and inspired more than one generation. Maya Angelou was a "rainbow" in so many "clouds." 
Via WomenPoets.com
In high school we were asked to select a poem and recite it for our class.  Our task was to memorize it and really deliver. I choose "Phenomenal Woman" by Angelou. Memorization was never my strong point, and on d-day I flubbed words, got flustered, and felt like a failure. How could I have done such a disservice to a poem that lifted me so? "Phenomenal Woman" was my coming of age mantra and I discredited it in front of my entire English class. 

That was the same school year my teacher told me I was a really good writer. It was also the same year I completed my first published work, a poem. It was the year I realized writing was more than something I enjoyed, it was something I loved and could actually do well. Why? Because I was moved. I was moved by the words of Angelou, Morrison, and others. I was in love with the way their words could inspire. I have always been enamored with the fact that words on a page can extract such deep emotion simply by being read. A selection of letters to make words that create sentences to build paragraphs/pages/stories/tales that have such a deep capacity to influence a reader. That's power. Maya Angelou could wield that power like no one else could.
Via Politico.com
I haven't been writing lately. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I was too discouraged to put anything on "paper." I've slowed down on pitching. I feel frozen because I want to create pieces that touch people, but I'm not sure if I can. Who am I to do this? What words could I string together that would really move people? Every time I sit down to write I defeat myself in my own mind before I can even get started. Each day I consider giving up because things just don't seem to be coming together. I punish myself for how my life has gone backwards. I fantasize about how things would have been had I listened to my heart and pursued writing instead of marketing straight out of school. The "what ifs" debilitate me. I weigh the pros and cons of switching my career focus back to marketing and living with my "well I tried" type of failure. 

Then the weirdest things happened. Last night I dreamt of writers within my circle of friends encouraging me to keep trying. Reprimanding me for not writing and physically urging me to sit down and just write. Then, this morning, I woke up to Twitter, Facebook, Feedly, and Instagram feeds full of encouraging quotes from Dr. Angelou. Her words will forever lift us up and they are always right on time.

 I remembered that I'm a "Phenomenal Woman." That doesn't change when I make mistakes. It doesn't change when I fail or meet defeat. It never changes. These struggles just add to my story. They give me words to weave so that I can touch someone someday. Who might I deprive if I give up now? What if someone someday is supposed to read my words for strength to keep going? 

"You may encounter many defeats, but you must
not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary
to encounter the defeats, so that you can know
who you are, what you can rise from, how
you can still come out of it."
                                    -Maya Angelou
  
Thank you, Dr. Angelou, for giving me that strength. Your acts, words, and spirit live on and continue to encourage. You are Phenomenal.                
Via hipwee.com
                       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Will Replace Gossip Girl, But Riverdale Is Close or Teen Shows I've Watched Lately

Each day I live and breathe, I'm inching closer to a time when I will no longer understand and will therefore lose the capacity to truly love a teen drama. But I'm not there yet, and I'm (still) searching for something to fill the void Gossip Girl  left when it was revealed that Lonely Boy was the one putting the words in Kristin Bell's mouth. Gossip Girl first aired after an episode of America's Next Top Model.  I remember this because my mother and I used to watch ANTM together in the days before girls started auditioning just so they could meet Tyra. But neither of us could leave the room once Gossip Girl's  pilot began. We were both hooked immediately, and it would be a show we enjoyed together even after I left home for another city hours away, and then another state halfway across the country. GG was corny at times, and it had its pitfalls (how did Chuck Bass start Season 1 by trying to rape little Jenny and end it by kicking off what would become ...

Cold War Kids iHeart Radio Album Release Party - My Quick Opinions

I've seen the Cold War Kids twice now, and my favorite thing about seeing them is they love to let people see them for free in Los Angeles. A free show is always the right idea. This time I got to see them at the iHeart Radio stage in Burbank, California. It's a very cool space, and the staff is super nice. Part of this iHeart Radio streaming party was a line of questioning from iHeart Radio personality. It was cool to hear lead singer Nathan Willett talk about his love for Los Angeles and desire to use their new album, LA Divine,  to set the record straight about the city's perception. He told Billboard the album is "the best version of what [they've] always done," and I agree. There's nothing particularly outstanding about the new album. There's no new, adventurous sound. The freshest thing about LA Divine is the effect the tumultuous year that was 2016 had on the lyrics. For example, Nathan told an amazing story about an art piece in New ...

I'm tired of trying to explain

I went on a trip home to Oklahoma last week. I brought Jersey Mike for his first real visit to the state and his first time meeting my friends. It was fantastic and fun. I'd love to tell you all about it. But I can't right now. I can't focus on anything right now.  Upon returning to Los Angeles, I logged onto Twitter and started seeing headlines about the Charleston shooting. I immediately turned it off. At first I felt wrong about doing it. At first I felt like I should face it head-on, get angry, put on my activist hat and get to work.  But I didn't. I couldn't do it.  I'd just gotten home from being surrounded by love. Yes, being back in Oklahoma I heard conversations filled with intolerance. I needed to point out and shut down a few comments that were insensitive and just plain rude. That's something I've gotten used to when visiting home. I'm surrounded by liberals and hippies here in Los Angeles. We are a melting pot of colors,...