Skip to main content

I'm tired of trying to explain

I went on a trip home to Oklahoma last week. I brought Jersey Mike for his first real visit to the state and his first time meeting my friends. It was fantastic and fun. I'd love to tell you all about it.

But I can't right now. I can't focus on anything right now. 

Upon returning to Los Angeles, I logged onto Twitter and started seeing headlines about the Charleston shooting. I immediately turned it off. At first I felt wrong about doing it. At first I felt like I should face it head-on, get angry, put on my activist hat and get to work. 

But I didn't. I couldn't do it. 

I'd just gotten home from being surrounded by love. Yes, being back in Oklahoma I heard conversations filled with intolerance. I needed to point out and shut down a few comments that were insensitive and just plain rude. That's something I've gotten used to when visiting home. I'm surrounded by liberals and hippies here in Los Angeles. We are a melting pot of colors, genders, sexualities and cultures. So going back to the Bible belt always comes with the burden of prying minds open. All in all, though, love was all around me. It was warm and cozy. I wanted to prolong the feeling. 

I wasn't ready to be angry. I wasn't ready to activate. I wasn't ready to get riled up all over again about the same shit that we've been fighting for since... forever. I wasn't ready to hear the alleged shooter described as a "troubled youth" instead of a murderous thug. I wasn't ready to hear the event labeled a "tragedy" instead of an outright terrorist attack. Before those headlines and labels spilled onto my feeds I KNEW they were coming. The part of my heart that still believes that will change is smaller every time. This time I heard it claim that maybe, just maybe this would be different. But barely. And it was wrong again. 

I want to hide. I want to curl up and pretend we live in a fair world. I want to fight, I want to right these wrongs. I want to sleep, because I'm mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted. I want to explain to those who don't understand how much this repeated beating hurts. But after prolonged pain, at some point we just go numb. I am numb. I am unable to feel. It took until last night for me to cry about the events. Because I'm just so sick and tired of it. What do tears do? What does the marching do? What does explaining do when people REFUSE to open their eyes and see?

Yesterday someone (a white male) said to me that they never remember things being this way when they were a kid, and that this is all recent development. I told him that these things have been happening, he just wasn't the recipient. He chuckled, acknowledged that he'd just never thought of it that way, but then came to his own conclusion that I was being negative. 

Maybe. Maybe dealing with racism my entire life, reading books and watching films chronicling the struggle of my people over the ages, and watching my people murdered senselessly without any sign of change has made me somewhat of a negative person. 

I'm just so tired. 

*

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

why wide awake?

i'm accepting the fact that i can't sleep. it's 2 a.m. and i'm going to be REALLY sorry in about four hours. i have a lot on my mind. usually when that happens i sleep a lot, which is what i've been doing the last week. perhaps i've used up all of my sleep hours. my little- doggie -sonic, on the other hand, has done nothing but sleep since i picked him up from doggie daycare today. YES!! sonic went to doggie daycare for the first time today. well, yesterday. since The Man left he has been really clingy and over protective. he growls and barks at every little thing, and he's always full of energy now that he is alone all day. i figured the best affordable solution is a day at doggie daycare each week. last weekend he passed his temperament test at The Pampered Pet , so we set his all day appointment. when i dropped him off wednesday morning it broke my heart. he didn't understand why i couldn't go with him to the play room. the lady had to pic

Last Week in Pix + 2x2 - Long Weekend Bliss

Last week was STRESSFUL.  Work was the normal amount of unnecessary crap. Bad weather near my hometown was no fun at all.  Let's just say this long weekend could not have come at a better time.  FRIDAY; Raise A Glass For Oklahoma!  happened at SOUTH in Santa Monica. We are still waiting for the final report from the bar, but we are pretty sure we reached our goal to raise $1000 for Feed The Children in Oklahoma City. Check out the progress here: https://app.mobilecause.com/public/social/7524  It was great that people were down to help out. We had amazing raffle prizes, the bar is donating 15% of the night's sales, and a lot of Oklahomies showed up, which was just wonderful. And because the more we drank the more money the bar would donate...we drank a fair amount. SATURDAY & SUNDAY: Yoga did not happen. I tried really hard, but all of my donation drinking said no.  I finally got rolling in the afternoon, packed up my stuff and Sonic

Justice for Georgina, aka Go See Get Out Immediately

WARNING: ALL OF THE SPOILERS. LIKE, SO MANY SPOILERS. GO SEE THE MOVIE. THAT'S AN ORDER.  In Get Out , the brilliant new Jordan Peele film, black people are used by white people's brains.  That's the shortest explanation, as there are so many levels to the movie. I'm typically not one to see scary movies (I can't even get through Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video), but when I read about this movie's perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes and the raving reviews from critics, I had to go and support this film from a black director with black stars. I'm not a fan of scary movies. They always give me nightmares. Before I saw the film, a coworker assured me that I wouldn't have nightmares after watching  Get Out . He was right and wrong. I didn't have nightmares about monsters lurking in dark corners, but I stayed awake unpacking all of the themes and metaphors of the film. In doing so, a big part of why I wasn't afraid occurred to