Skip to main content

The music died with Prince today


Today I had a breakdown at work. Like a damn fool. 

I had a horrible night, woke up exhausted, and decided to remain unplugged until I got to work. I wanted to take the morning slowly. 

I arrived at the office, sat down in my first meeting and heard "I'm just so sad about the news. We're going to write a few things about Prince today, Doriean are you able to do that?" 

So I'm sitting there like a dumbass asking "What happened?"

Then it hit me. Maybe that wasn't the flu that caused Prince's plane to land suddenly last week. Maybe something was really wrong. 

Because he's gone. 

So then I'm listening to my assignments, trying to wrap my brain around selecting the best Prince songs (impossible). I'm talking like nothing is happening but tears are streaming. My editor asks if I need a minute and I run to the bathroom and bawl like an infant. 

I've been trying to listen to music all day. But nothing compares. And I can't listen to any Prince. I just can't. I've cried enough at the office today.

If you know me you've probably heard me say that Prince is the reason I'm alive. That's not just something I say to be funny. It's true. My mother LOVES Prince. One of my parents' early dates was a Prince show. I like to think he brought them closer together. And because Prince is sex and sex makes babies ... he's the reason I'm here today. I was raised on Michael, sure. And when he died I was devastated. But this is worse to me. I was raised with Michael, but I was smothered in Prince. The only Batman I know is Prince's Batman. The only time I watched New Girl was when Prince guest-starred (I really don't get that show). I was lowkey offended when Dave Chappelle poked fun at Prince's persona. I got over it because that shit was just too hilarious, though. 

Musically, Prince means everything to me. He has never not been relevant. His abilities were limitless. What he could do with his guitar and his incredible range could set your very soul on fire. He was magic and fire and crushed velvet.  He was royalty. He was the personification of sex. And he KNEW it. Not a woman, not a man, he was something you could never comprehend. 

A few years back, Prince was playing shows and the tickets were only $25. I freaked OUT and asked all of my friends if they wanted to go with me. Zero of my LA friends were down to go. 
It was then that I realized I needed new friends. 
I also realized I was going to see Prince alone. 
I drove to the pre-remodeled Forum, parked, and found my seat. Sheila E, my IDOL (I played percussion through middle and high school because I thought I would be her one day) opened with her family band. It was fantastic. And then Prince happened. I was overwhelmed with emotion. I didn't sit down for HOURS. He would play a set, leave the stage, and then reemerge with greatness. There was never enough. People were leaving (it was about 11 p.m. on a weeknight) but I couldn't understand. Prince. Wasn't. Finished. That man played well into the next day. I didn't get home until 2 a.m. His is still the best show I've ever been to. 

I called my mother today. She's generally easy going about death. She believes, if we're saved, we go to a better place where there is no pain. When someone dies, she is happy for them. For the first time ever, I sensed anger in her voice. "No one knows what happened," she said to me. "The thing with the flu happened last week, and they waved it off. I wondered why they would have landed that dinky plane just because of the flu. Something happened but no one is saying anything." She loves Prince, and she's upset that he's gone. 

For anyone who knows Prince because of Dave Chappelle or New Girl or that one step show where the Zetas played "When Doves Cry," get to know him better this weekend. Get to know his music on a deeper level. Feel the tingles down your spine at the end of "Purple Rain." Witness the majesty of "7." Loose your breath jumping around to "1999" and "Let's Go Crazy." Love yourself with "Diamonds and Pearls" or "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World." Get your freak on with "Cream," "Darling Nikki," and so many others. Just get to know him better so you truly understand that there will never be another like him. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

why wide awake?

i'm accepting the fact that i can't sleep. it's 2 a.m. and i'm going to be REALLY sorry in about four hours. i have a lot on my mind. usually when that happens i sleep a lot, which is what i've been doing the last week. perhaps i've used up all of my sleep hours. my little- doggie -sonic, on the other hand, has done nothing but sleep since i picked him up from doggie daycare today. YES!! sonic went to doggie daycare for the first time today. well, yesterday. since The Man left he has been really clingy and over protective. he growls and barks at every little thing, and he's always full of energy now that he is alone all day. i figured the best affordable solution is a day at doggie daycare each week. last weekend he passed his temperament test at The Pampered Pet , so we set his all day appointment. when i dropped him off wednesday morning it broke my heart. he didn't understand why i couldn't go with him to the play room. the lady had to pic

I'm tired of trying to explain

I went on a trip home to Oklahoma last week. I brought Jersey Mike for his first real visit to the state and his first time meeting my friends. It was fantastic and fun. I'd love to tell you all about it. But I can't right now. I can't focus on anything right now.  Upon returning to Los Angeles, I logged onto Twitter and started seeing headlines about the Charleston shooting. I immediately turned it off. At first I felt wrong about doing it. At first I felt like I should face it head-on, get angry, put on my activist hat and get to work.  But I didn't. I couldn't do it.  I'd just gotten home from being surrounded by love. Yes, being back in Oklahoma I heard conversations filled with intolerance. I needed to point out and shut down a few comments that were insensitive and just plain rude. That's something I've gotten used to when visiting home. I'm surrounded by liberals and hippies here in Los Angeles. We are a melting pot of colors,

Last Week in Pix + 2x2 - Long Weekend Bliss

Last week was STRESSFUL.  Work was the normal amount of unnecessary crap. Bad weather near my hometown was no fun at all.  Let's just say this long weekend could not have come at a better time.  FRIDAY; Raise A Glass For Oklahoma!  happened at SOUTH in Santa Monica. We are still waiting for the final report from the bar, but we are pretty sure we reached our goal to raise $1000 for Feed The Children in Oklahoma City. Check out the progress here: https://app.mobilecause.com/public/social/7524  It was great that people were down to help out. We had amazing raffle prizes, the bar is donating 15% of the night's sales, and a lot of Oklahomies showed up, which was just wonderful. And because the more we drank the more money the bar would donate...we drank a fair amount. SATURDAY & SUNDAY: Yoga did not happen. I tried really hard, but all of my donation drinking said no.  I finally got rolling in the afternoon, packed up my stuff and Sonic