Skip to main content

New Music Friday: Hot Takes

It's Thursday-night-into-Friday-morning and you know what that means: New music is being posted all over the internet!
I am giddy. I have my glass of red wine beside me and I'm ready to pass judgment on everything I hear. The first three new things I listened to were: Kendrick's "HUMBLE," Mary J Blige's "Love Yourself," and whatever the hell Ludacris just did.

Let's start with Kendrick. 



We got "The Heart Part 4" earlier, so let me mention that I love that Kendrick forces his new listeners to search out preceding Parts by releasing new chapters around each project. It's important to understand how his art has changed. It's like an abridged version of his discography.

OK, done with the praise. Because we know KDot is a genius. We know he completely flips it on each project, and it seems the album coming April 7 will continue that trend. But the big question is: Is he after Big Sean or Drake? My opinion: both or neither. If he's after them, "The Heart Part 4" is aimed at Sean. "HUMBLE" is for Drake. There are lines in both songs that could be calling out Sean and lines in both songs that could be calling out Drake. But "... Part 4" lays in Sean's catchphrase while "HUMBLE" seems to be throwing shade at Drake's entire crew and persona with the dig against a photoshop-perfect lifestyle, the request for "real" things like stretch marks on a woman's butt.

What's going to be completely amazing is when we find out he's not talking about Sean or Drake. LOL.


Mary J Blige ft. Kanye West


It might be because she rose to fame on covers and recognizable samples, but every time I hear a new song from Mary J I immediately try to determine who else's song it sounds like. Don't get me wrong, I love Mary. Amazing live. But she likes to borrow. And "Love Yourself" sounds like if "Hold On" by Sounds of Blackness was tossed into the dryer with Ghostface Killah's "Metal Lungies."

But what really gets me about "Love Yourself" is Kanye's verse. It's further proof that Kanye believes he's transcended race, class and maybe humanity itself. But then he raps about kids getting shot and making it out of Chicago. It's baffling.

Most importantly, his verse doesn't quite match the song. It's as if she sent the track to Kanye under the guise of a feature request in hopes that he'd listen and be healed. Good try, Mary. We acknowledge your effort. But we're never getting the old Kanye back. He might emulate his old flows, but the words he's speaking are his new mentality.


Ludacris ft. Ty Dolla $ign


Last and least is this bullshit.
OK, it's Ludacris. So we know the samples are just as obvious as the innuendos. That's part of his charm, I suppose. I think my biggest problem with this song is that it just makes me want to listen to the actual "Thong Song" because that song was a lot more fun. Ludacris is supposed to be fun. This song is ... not. I'd like to blame Ty Dolla $ign because I'm not a big fan of his, but he doesn't deserve it. The tempo is wrong, the vibe is off, the comedy is weak, it's just a bad play, Luda. Hope to see you in Fate of the Furious so you can redeem yourself.

Now it's time to go back to bumping Chris Stapleton (judge me, I dare you.)

*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

why wide awake?

i'm accepting the fact that i can't sleep. it's 2 a.m. and i'm going to be REALLY sorry in about four hours. i have a lot on my mind. usually when that happens i sleep a lot, which is what i've been doing the last week. perhaps i've used up all of my sleep hours. my little- doggie -sonic, on the other hand, has done nothing but sleep since i picked him up from doggie daycare today. YES!! sonic went to doggie daycare for the first time today. well, yesterday. since The Man left he has been really clingy and over protective. he growls and barks at every little thing, and he's always full of energy now that he is alone all day. i figured the best affordable solution is a day at doggie daycare each week. last weekend he passed his temperament test at The Pampered Pet , so we set his all day appointment. when i dropped him off wednesday morning it broke my heart. he didn't understand why i couldn't go with him to the play room. the lady had to pic

I'm tired of trying to explain

I went on a trip home to Oklahoma last week. I brought Jersey Mike for his first real visit to the state and his first time meeting my friends. It was fantastic and fun. I'd love to tell you all about it. But I can't right now. I can't focus on anything right now.  Upon returning to Los Angeles, I logged onto Twitter and started seeing headlines about the Charleston shooting. I immediately turned it off. At first I felt wrong about doing it. At first I felt like I should face it head-on, get angry, put on my activist hat and get to work.  But I didn't. I couldn't do it.  I'd just gotten home from being surrounded by love. Yes, being back in Oklahoma I heard conversations filled with intolerance. I needed to point out and shut down a few comments that were insensitive and just plain rude. That's something I've gotten used to when visiting home. I'm surrounded by liberals and hippies here in Los Angeles. We are a melting pot of colors,

Last Week in Pix + 2x2 - Long Weekend Bliss

Last week was STRESSFUL.  Work was the normal amount of unnecessary crap. Bad weather near my hometown was no fun at all.  Let's just say this long weekend could not have come at a better time.  FRIDAY; Raise A Glass For Oklahoma!  happened at SOUTH in Santa Monica. We are still waiting for the final report from the bar, but we are pretty sure we reached our goal to raise $1000 for Feed The Children in Oklahoma City. Check out the progress here: https://app.mobilecause.com/public/social/7524  It was great that people were down to help out. We had amazing raffle prizes, the bar is donating 15% of the night's sales, and a lot of Oklahomies showed up, which was just wonderful. And because the more we drank the more money the bar would donate...we drank a fair amount. SATURDAY & SUNDAY: Yoga did not happen. I tried really hard, but all of my donation drinking said no.  I finally got rolling in the afternoon, packed up my stuff and Sonic