Skip to main content

hunger strike

i'm giving up on grocery shopping once and for all.

i'd like to do that. but i also enjoy eating. so after i throw a fit for the remainder of writing this post, i'm sure i'll start making my next grocery list.

walk with me through this sad shopping saga:

act I
i realized that The Man would alternate pizza and nachos every other day and be completely content with life. i added a pasta meal and a few other ideas i knew we both would eat and went shopping based on the ingredients for each of those meals. after a few days i noticed that The Man was stopping at fast food restaurants in the neighborhood or not eating at all.

'there's nothing to eat,' he said. immediately i took offense. you mean the hundred bucks worth of food i bought is suddenly not edible?

'everything has to be cooked.'

oh. kay. so we took a new approach.

act II
we went shopping as a team and bought several things that were (painfully processed, stuffed with sodium and preservatives and) easy to fix in a stove or microwave. we also picked up sandwich fixings. over the next few days The Man was happy and excited to make us yummy hot sandwiches, nachos and microwavable delights. he was making dinner!! color me happy!

but then everything that came in a box with directions was gone. as well as the lunch meat, bread and cheese. all gone. leaving only the random ingredients to side dishes and no main courses.

act III
i went shopping with my list. The Man went shopping with his list. he asked for his own shelf in the refrigerator. we keep our food separate. we each spent way too much money on groceries only to discover that, once again, there was nothing to create a real meal.

how does this keep happening? what are we doing wrong? there's just something we are missing and it's driving me insane. i think the checkers at the grocery store near my house are starting to recognize me. i'm there almost every day. i also think they are purposefully hiding the Southern Comfort egg nog when they see me walk in. i bought the last carton four days ago. i've been there twice since then (not exaggerating. i told you it was bad) and they have not restocked. someone should tell them that it's my addiction and i'll live in denial if i want to. let me buy egg nog damnit!!

i'll live on egg nog. The Man will live on sandwiches with a side of nachos. everybody's happy.

*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

why wide awake?

i'm accepting the fact that i can't sleep. it's 2 a.m. and i'm going to be REALLY sorry in about four hours. i have a lot on my mind. usually when that happens i sleep a lot, which is what i've been doing the last week. perhaps i've used up all of my sleep hours. my little- doggie -sonic, on the other hand, has done nothing but sleep since i picked him up from doggie daycare today. YES!! sonic went to doggie daycare for the first time today. well, yesterday. since The Man left he has been really clingy and over protective. he growls and barks at every little thing, and he's always full of energy now that he is alone all day. i figured the best affordable solution is a day at doggie daycare each week. last weekend he passed his temperament test at The Pampered Pet , so we set his all day appointment. when i dropped him off wednesday morning it broke my heart. he didn't understand why i couldn't go with him to the play room. the lady had to pic

Last Week in Pix + 2x2 - Long Weekend Bliss

Last week was STRESSFUL.  Work was the normal amount of unnecessary crap. Bad weather near my hometown was no fun at all.  Let's just say this long weekend could not have come at a better time.  FRIDAY; Raise A Glass For Oklahoma!  happened at SOUTH in Santa Monica. We are still waiting for the final report from the bar, but we are pretty sure we reached our goal to raise $1000 for Feed The Children in Oklahoma City. Check out the progress here: https://app.mobilecause.com/public/social/7524  It was great that people were down to help out. We had amazing raffle prizes, the bar is donating 15% of the night's sales, and a lot of Oklahomies showed up, which was just wonderful. And because the more we drank the more money the bar would donate...we drank a fair amount. SATURDAY & SUNDAY: Yoga did not happen. I tried really hard, but all of my donation drinking said no.  I finally got rolling in the afternoon, packed up my stuff and Sonic

Justice for Georgina, aka Go See Get Out Immediately

WARNING: ALL OF THE SPOILERS. LIKE, SO MANY SPOILERS. GO SEE THE MOVIE. THAT'S AN ORDER.  In Get Out , the brilliant new Jordan Peele film, black people are used by white people's brains.  That's the shortest explanation, as there are so many levels to the movie. I'm typically not one to see scary movies (I can't even get through Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video), but when I read about this movie's perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes and the raving reviews from critics, I had to go and support this film from a black director with black stars. I'm not a fan of scary movies. They always give me nightmares. Before I saw the film, a coworker assured me that I wouldn't have nightmares after watching  Get Out . He was right and wrong. I didn't have nightmares about monsters lurking in dark corners, but I stayed awake unpacking all of the themes and metaphors of the film. In doing so, a big part of why I wasn't afraid occurred to