Skip to main content

New Tunes - Ne-Yo's R.E.D.

Roses are red and so are too many album titles this year. First, Taylor Swift's not-country-but-pop album and now Ne-Yo's newest release. 



I've been listening to 'R.E.D.' for two days now. I'm trying really hard to love it. 

But that's just it, I'm trying really hard to love it...but I don't. 

Don't get me wrong! I like it; it's more of what we've come to expect from Ne-Yo. You would be hard-pressed to find another R&B singer that sings straight to the heart of a woman. Not to mention he's written songs for the best of the best (Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Musiq Soulchild to name a few). 

He definitely knows what he's doing and sticks to his formula. There is a newness missing from R.E.D. He loops in a few dance tracks which seem forced. Other than that it's the same ole same ole. 

So, it's not a love, but definitely a like. And there are songs on the album I really recommend:

'Lazy Love' - I've been listening to this song for months and I can still let it play on repeat. It's a super sexy cut (complete with two video versions, one more X-rated than the other).

'Don't Make Em Like You' - This is sort of the sequel to Ne-Yo's 'Miss Independent'.  It has the same vibe as far as subject matter. It's a nice pat on the back for those of us without a ratchet side.

'Should Be You' - This one is a 90's flashback complete with verses from P. Diddy.

Even if I don't love it, 'R.E.D.' is for sure worth a listen or ten. What are you guys listening to these days?

*



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Will Replace Gossip Girl, But Riverdale Is Close or Teen Shows I've Watched Lately

Each day I live and breathe, I'm inching closer to a time when I will no longer understand and will therefore lose the capacity to truly love a teen drama. But I'm not there yet, and I'm (still) searching for something to fill the void Gossip Girl  left when it was revealed that Lonely Boy was the one putting the words in Kristin Bell's mouth. Gossip Girl first aired after an episode of America's Next Top Model.  I remember this because my mother and I used to watch ANTM together in the days before girls started auditioning just so they could meet Tyra. But neither of us could leave the room once Gossip Girl's  pilot began. We were both hooked immediately, and it would be a show we enjoyed together even after I left home for another city hours away, and then another state halfway across the country. GG was corny at times, and it had its pitfalls (how did Chuck Bass start Season 1 by trying to rape little Jenny and end it by kicking off what would become ...

Cold War Kids iHeart Radio Album Release Party - My Quick Opinions

I've seen the Cold War Kids twice now, and my favorite thing about seeing them is they love to let people see them for free in Los Angeles. A free show is always the right idea. This time I got to see them at the iHeart Radio stage in Burbank, California. It's a very cool space, and the staff is super nice. Part of this iHeart Radio streaming party was a line of questioning from iHeart Radio personality. It was cool to hear lead singer Nathan Willett talk about his love for Los Angeles and desire to use their new album, LA Divine,  to set the record straight about the city's perception. He told Billboard the album is "the best version of what [they've] always done," and I agree. There's nothing particularly outstanding about the new album. There's no new, adventurous sound. The freshest thing about LA Divine is the effect the tumultuous year that was 2016 had on the lyrics. For example, Nathan told an amazing story about an art piece in New ...

I'm tired of trying to explain

I went on a trip home to Oklahoma last week. I brought Jersey Mike for his first real visit to the state and his first time meeting my friends. It was fantastic and fun. I'd love to tell you all about it. But I can't right now. I can't focus on anything right now.  Upon returning to Los Angeles, I logged onto Twitter and started seeing headlines about the Charleston shooting. I immediately turned it off. At first I felt wrong about doing it. At first I felt like I should face it head-on, get angry, put on my activist hat and get to work.  But I didn't. I couldn't do it.  I'd just gotten home from being surrounded by love. Yes, being back in Oklahoma I heard conversations filled with intolerance. I needed to point out and shut down a few comments that were insensitive and just plain rude. That's something I've gotten used to when visiting home. I'm surrounded by liberals and hippies here in Los Angeles. We are a melting pot of colors,...