Skip to main content

Last Wk in Pix / 2x2

Enter December!! Can you believe 2012 is almost over? Are you planning to make the most out of what the Mayans thought would be the last days of life as we know it?

Because we were coming back from a holiday, I thought for sure last week would drag. Luckily - luckily may not be the word - things were extremely busy at work. We are going through a lot of changes, I've gained more responsibility and the days flew by. So hopefully I can breeze through this post just as easily. 

Monday I went to yoga and it was an incredible class. Mentally and physically an amazing workout. I got home, supremely relaxed, sat down to do my nails because I had an important meeting Tuesday that I wanted to look really nice for. For some reason I got all tensed up while doing my nails and thinking about said meeting that all of the sudden there was a twitch followed by excruciating pain in my wrist. 
I couldn't rotate it or bend it. My pinky finger, ring finger and thumb were tingling. This was not good. So Tuesday I went to work with my wrist wrapped up, which would help according to WebMD. So much for looking capable during my big meeting. 


Like I said, work week flew and finally it was Friday. I had a date planned for Friday that was a surprise. So I spent the entire week trying to figure out what one wears for a surprise date. Boys. They don't get it. I chose a Little Baby Lisa approved outfit...
and headed out. So far I had one hint: live music. Sold! That's only my absolute favorite activity. After eating. Possibly after sleeping, but that's a hard choice. 

On the way there I got a few more hints and was so excited that 
a) It was a show I was DYING to see
b) He actually listened to me during one of our earlier dates and remembered I wanted to see this show
c) He was able to secure tickets before the show sold out.
I was ecgratepressless: Ecstatic, grateful, impressed, and speechless all at once.

First up: Jhene Aiko
Part of a select few currently reviving the sound of true R&B, Jhene Aiko is tops in my book. I really enjoy her smooth vibe, her voice is gentle and I love how her lyrics juxtapose that at times. I feel like this venue, The Wiltern, wasn't intimate enough for her. Super kudos for being asked to join a tour with Nas and Lauryn Hill, but I hope to see her again in a smaller setting. 


Next: Nasty Nas
SO HARD! Ahh!!! True hip-hop praise Jesus! I love how he was heavy on his older stuff. Obviously there is so much to go through with close to two decades in the game. His new album is so amazing, and I was happy that he played two of my fave tracks ('Cherry Wine'and 'Bye Baby').

Then when I thought it couldn't get any better, Anthony Hamilton came out for my other favorite track on the album ('World is an Addiction') 
That person's hand blocking most of Anthony Hamilton kinda looks like Jar Jar Binks' hand. Am I wrong? 

And then the time had come for the one, the only the undisputed queen, the lovely, the introspective, the genius, afflicted, effortlessly talented: Ms. Lauryn Hill!!!!
It took literally forever for her to come out. They stalled like crazy. When she did come out she was a super diva (earned). It was clear she rehearsed very little with her band/singers. Without warning, she would just change things whenever the mood struck her. The sheer terror in her backup singers' eyes made it clear they had no clue what was going through her head at any given time. 

 She commanded the stage. She commanded the audience. She was yelling and waving frantically at her sound and lights people as well as her musicians...she's insane!! AND SO INCREDIBLE. That voice. Her unmatched flow. I teared up during 'Ex-Factor', was beyond happy she sang 'Turn Your Lights Down Low' went crazy when she covered some Fugees hits. LORD it was amazing!

Then, at 1 a.m., with a rumbling tummy and aching feet, we went to dinner. And that's the end of the date as far as this blog post's business is concerned. 

Best. Date. Ever. I may have said that about the museum date, but he's one up'd himself. 

Yesterday TU won (woo!) and I put up my Christmas decorations!
My place is so small, so I don't have room (or outlets) for an actual tree. But I still put out all of my trinkets to remind me it's Christmas time, even though it won't snow here and there are days I don't even have to wear a jacket. God bless L.A. 

2x2
Last week I learned:
1) Surprises are so much fun!
2) People at my job have a lot of faith in me

This week I'm looking forward to:
1) Week one of Decisive December!
2) Making gluten free salted caramel brownies. 

Despite the fact that it's not beginning to look anything like Christmas here, stay tuned for Tuesday* when I plan to review some Christmas albums. Yay! 

*Pending free time considering this is going to be a crazy work week.

I hope you had as amazing of a weekend as I did!! 


*



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

why wide awake?

i'm accepting the fact that i can't sleep. it's 2 a.m. and i'm going to be REALLY sorry in about four hours. i have a lot on my mind. usually when that happens i sleep a lot, which is what i've been doing the last week. perhaps i've used up all of my sleep hours. my little- doggie -sonic, on the other hand, has done nothing but sleep since i picked him up from doggie daycare today. YES!! sonic went to doggie daycare for the first time today. well, yesterday. since The Man left he has been really clingy and over protective. he growls and barks at every little thing, and he's always full of energy now that he is alone all day. i figured the best affordable solution is a day at doggie daycare each week. last weekend he passed his temperament test at The Pampered Pet , so we set his all day appointment. when i dropped him off wednesday morning it broke my heart. he didn't understand why i couldn't go with him to the play room. the lady had to pic

I'm tired of trying to explain

I went on a trip home to Oklahoma last week. I brought Jersey Mike for his first real visit to the state and his first time meeting my friends. It was fantastic and fun. I'd love to tell you all about it. But I can't right now. I can't focus on anything right now.  Upon returning to Los Angeles, I logged onto Twitter and started seeing headlines about the Charleston shooting. I immediately turned it off. At first I felt wrong about doing it. At first I felt like I should face it head-on, get angry, put on my activist hat and get to work.  But I didn't. I couldn't do it.  I'd just gotten home from being surrounded by love. Yes, being back in Oklahoma I heard conversations filled with intolerance. I needed to point out and shut down a few comments that were insensitive and just plain rude. That's something I've gotten used to when visiting home. I'm surrounded by liberals and hippies here in Los Angeles. We are a melting pot of colors,

Last Week in Pix + 2x2 - Long Weekend Bliss

Last week was STRESSFUL.  Work was the normal amount of unnecessary crap. Bad weather near my hometown was no fun at all.  Let's just say this long weekend could not have come at a better time.  FRIDAY; Raise A Glass For Oklahoma!  happened at SOUTH in Santa Monica. We are still waiting for the final report from the bar, but we are pretty sure we reached our goal to raise $1000 for Feed The Children in Oklahoma City. Check out the progress here: https://app.mobilecause.com/public/social/7524  It was great that people were down to help out. We had amazing raffle prizes, the bar is donating 15% of the night's sales, and a lot of Oklahomies showed up, which was just wonderful. And because the more we drank the more money the bar would donate...we drank a fair amount. SATURDAY & SUNDAY: Yoga did not happen. I tried really hard, but all of my donation drinking said no.  I finally got rolling in the afternoon, packed up my stuff and Sonic