Skip to main content

Yule Tune Review Pt 3 - Compilations and Classics

Hi! 
Well, it's almost Christmas (pending the world doesn't come to a screeching halt at some point today) and I have one more Yule Tune post for you. This is a three-fer. Woo! (Again, cramming it all in before the Mayans prove us all wrong. You know. Just in case.)


The Hotel Cafe Presents: Winter Songs - Various Artists (The Compilation)

All of my favorite new holiday songs this year have come from this album. Save the Hanson version of 'Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)' which isn't new, I just never listened to it really before and...feel free to judge me but I really like it. 
Anyway, back to 'Winter Songs': There are your share of Christmas classics, but there is also a great selection of originals to choose from. Plus, all of your favorite adult contemporary artists (Sara Bareilles, Meiko, Fiona Apple and more) are here for the holiday party!
Fave Tracks: 
'Winter Song'- Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson  : Title track! This song is purdy and sets the album off right with a clear feeling of longing that carries into every track.

'Maybe Next Year (The X-Mas Song)' - Meiko  : Did anyone else's parents go bizerk over 'X-mas' and how it was "cutting Christ out of Christmas"? Ever since I was little I dread writing 'X-mas' for fear I will be stricken down by God or Zeus or some cosmic accident all because my mother was so adamant about this. 
Anyway, irrelevant. I love Meiko and I love this song. It's apologetic without being remorseful. It's jazzy and smoky. It's a good little ditty for those expecting coal. 

'Silent Night' - Priscilla Ahn: I am particular about 'Silent Night'. It can become an extremely annoying song and has the capacity to drag on for much longer than necessary if done wrong. This happens more than I'd like to mention. But this haunting version of 'Silent Night' is a strong contender against my long-time favorite version from Boys II Men.


The Ultimate Motown Christmas Album - Various Artists (The Classic Compilation)

The gang is all here, peeps!! Smokey, Mikey, Diana, all your favorite Motown Christmas classics on one groovin album. I love so many of these songs so much that it's hard to choose favorites, but that's sort of a requirement, isn't it? 
Fave Tracks:
'Let it Snow'  - BoysIIMen and Brian McKnight: The BoysIIMen Christmas album ('Christmas Interpretations') continues to be one of my favorite Christmas albums. I mentioned their version of 'Silent Night' above and suggest you check that out as well. 

'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus' - Jackson 5: Aww, little Mikey!! This song has never been carried by a better group. I challenge you. Find one! The ending where Michael pleads with his brothers trying to tell them what he saw...perfection.

'Give Love on Christmas Day' - Johnny Gill: Daddy used to play this song a lot, so this song just reminds me of Christmas when I was little. It brings back the innocent spirit of Christmas for me. 


The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole (The Classic)

And I do mean THE Classic. This album is a must every year. My ultimate, all-time, forever favorite song is on this album. It has been covered from here to Timbuktu, but no one will ever, ever, EVER do it better than the King (Cole). 
Fave Track: 'The Christmas Song'. There's honestly nothing I have to say about this song, it speaks for itself. And, though there are other great songs on the album, I'm only listing this one. It is my very favorite holiday song above all others. 

So, there you have it! The final Yule Tune post! Don't be sad. Christmas is almost here, the new year cometh, and there will be many gifts of new music in 2013.  

Happy Holidays!
*

Oh wait! Bonus! +Jhene Aiko released a new song today for the holidays. It's super sexy R&B and I lurve it. It's called 'Wrap Me Up' and you can check it on +SoundCloud here: https://soundcloud.com/defjam/jhene-aiko-wrap-me-up-ft-james

Enjoy! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

why wide awake?

i'm accepting the fact that i can't sleep. it's 2 a.m. and i'm going to be REALLY sorry in about four hours. i have a lot on my mind. usually when that happens i sleep a lot, which is what i've been doing the last week. perhaps i've used up all of my sleep hours. my little- doggie -sonic, on the other hand, has done nothing but sleep since i picked him up from doggie daycare today. YES!! sonic went to doggie daycare for the first time today. well, yesterday. since The Man left he has been really clingy and over protective. he growls and barks at every little thing, and he's always full of energy now that he is alone all day. i figured the best affordable solution is a day at doggie daycare each week. last weekend he passed his temperament test at The Pampered Pet , so we set his all day appointment. when i dropped him off wednesday morning it broke my heart. he didn't understand why i couldn't go with him to the play room. the lady had to pic

I'm tired of trying to explain

I went on a trip home to Oklahoma last week. I brought Jersey Mike for his first real visit to the state and his first time meeting my friends. It was fantastic and fun. I'd love to tell you all about it. But I can't right now. I can't focus on anything right now.  Upon returning to Los Angeles, I logged onto Twitter and started seeing headlines about the Charleston shooting. I immediately turned it off. At first I felt wrong about doing it. At first I felt like I should face it head-on, get angry, put on my activist hat and get to work.  But I didn't. I couldn't do it.  I'd just gotten home from being surrounded by love. Yes, being back in Oklahoma I heard conversations filled with intolerance. I needed to point out and shut down a few comments that were insensitive and just plain rude. That's something I've gotten used to when visiting home. I'm surrounded by liberals and hippies here in Los Angeles. We are a melting pot of colors,

Last Week in Pix + 2x2 - Long Weekend Bliss

Last week was STRESSFUL.  Work was the normal amount of unnecessary crap. Bad weather near my hometown was no fun at all.  Let's just say this long weekend could not have come at a better time.  FRIDAY; Raise A Glass For Oklahoma!  happened at SOUTH in Santa Monica. We are still waiting for the final report from the bar, but we are pretty sure we reached our goal to raise $1000 for Feed The Children in Oklahoma City. Check out the progress here: https://app.mobilecause.com/public/social/7524  It was great that people were down to help out. We had amazing raffle prizes, the bar is donating 15% of the night's sales, and a lot of Oklahomies showed up, which was just wonderful. And because the more we drank the more money the bar would donate...we drank a fair amount. SATURDAY & SUNDAY: Yoga did not happen. I tried really hard, but all of my donation drinking said no.  I finally got rolling in the afternoon, packed up my stuff and Sonic