Skip to main content

Sweet September/Sugar Free 2x2

Back in July I had the fantastic idea to stop eating unnatural sugar for an entire month. 
I say fantastic. I mean idiotic. 
It all started when I told Jersey Mike - with massive excitement - that July was National Ice Cream Month. He asked how one would celebrate something like that. He thought it was pretty ridiculous that someone might eat ice cream everyday for a month. 

I, on the other hand, thought that was a glorious way to live. 
At that point I realized I might have a problem. 
So I vowed not to eat any unnatural sugar for the month of August. My only cheats would be alcohol, but I would refrain from my usual chocolate martinis and opt for less sugary drinks like...cherry vodka sours. (That's only sort of a joke.)
I started with a juice cleanse from my friends at The Real Juice to help rid my body of as much sugar as possible so that I wouldn't crave it so bad. The cleanse was easy. The aftermath was horrible.

Let me clue you in to my normal day. I wake up and have my daily breakfast smoothie and a hot chocolate. Hot chocolates are like my coffee. I have AT LEAST one per day. Then I'll munch on something sweet just before lunch, like a cookie or M&Ms. Then lunch. Then I have to have a dessert after lunch, such as another cookie, froyo or a cupcake. Next, three o'clock snack that's similar to the pre-lunch snack. At night after dinner I'll usually have ice cream or rice pudding for dessert. 
I know. It's disgusting. But that's a normal day. 
So you might imagine how difficult this was for me. I'm pretty sure my coworkers hate me. Everyday I whined about how I needed a hot chocolate and wanted a cookie after lunch and really needed a sugary snack around 3 p.m. 
I was immediately tired because there was no sugar to create the 'sugar high' I was used to during my 11 and 3 o'clock slumps. At night after dinner I immediately wanted to sleep because, well, there was no ice cream to stay awake for. 
Two weeks in I thought things would be getting easier for me. They were getting worse. The cravings were unbearable. People kept bringing snacks into the office that I couldn't eat. People even BOUGHT snacks for me because they knew how much I loved sugar. And I had to physically give them back. 
Yeah. Not easy. 
I was eating a ton of fruit to take in as much natural sugar as possible. Blueberries and bananas were my life savers, along with plums and nectarines.

Still, my days were harder to kick start without a hot chocolate, and my nights were miserable without ice cream. Sweet potato fries became my 'new dessert' and I had them as a meal more than once in August. Even with all of these sugar replacements, I felt exhausted. I actually felt dizzy. And with that I realized: I don't eat enough. 
People have always told me that my portions are so small and that I get full really quickly. This sugar break helped me realize it's because I take in so. many. snacks. throughout the day. Hot chocolate in the morning. Snack before lunch. Snack after lunch. I was taking in so much artificial sugar that of course I wasn't hungry when mealtime came around. 
So I started to eat more. A lot more. I was taking in a lot of bread and cheese, which I usually don't do. Cheese is my go-to when chocolate isn't available. So I ate a TON of cheese (not good). I couldn't get my hands on enough sweet potato fries. This, combined with the fact that I'm not going to yoga as much due to my back injury, resulted in me gaining a bit of weight. Like around six pounds of weight just last month!

All of this was okay, as long as I felt better/healthier. But, here's the kicker: I didn't. I didn't feel better at all. I just felt deprived, like I was really missing out on foods I enjoy. 
As August came to a close, I really wanted to cheat. PMS + stress at work and in life had me headed straight for the sugar. Someone brought an entire bag of M&Ms into the office kitchen and I could hear them calling my name. 
You'll be happy to know - and probably surprised. Shocked, even - that I made it to September without one set back. All the way through the month with no artificial sugar other than alcoholic beverages. I did it!!! Though I don't plan on cutting sugar out of my life completely (it's September 2nd and I've had two hot chocolates and a bag of M&Ms since yesterday) I do plan to cut back. There's no reason to have a hot chocolate everyday. Nor is it healthy to have ice cream every night and so many sugary snacks throughout each day. If I can pick one of these to do each day, that would be an improvement. If I can pick three to do each week that would be fantastic! And this time I truly mean 'fantastic'.

2x2
Things I learned in August:
1) It's possible to live without fake sugar. Honestly, you might live longer
2) I really really really really miss yoga

Things I'm looking forward to in September:
1) FOOTBALL!!!!!!!
2) It happens to be National Yoga Month. So, contrary to National Ice Cream Month, I think this is one I could celebrate daily without sacrificing my health. 
As long as I'm nice to my back. 

*



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

why wide awake?

i'm accepting the fact that i can't sleep. it's 2 a.m. and i'm going to be REALLY sorry in about four hours. i have a lot on my mind. usually when that happens i sleep a lot, which is what i've been doing the last week. perhaps i've used up all of my sleep hours. my little- doggie -sonic, on the other hand, has done nothing but sleep since i picked him up from doggie daycare today. YES!! sonic went to doggie daycare for the first time today. well, yesterday. since The Man left he has been really clingy and over protective. he growls and barks at every little thing, and he's always full of energy now that he is alone all day. i figured the best affordable solution is a day at doggie daycare each week. last weekend he passed his temperament test at The Pampered Pet , so we set his all day appointment. when i dropped him off wednesday morning it broke my heart. he didn't understand why i couldn't go with him to the play room. the lady had to pic

I'm tired of trying to explain

I went on a trip home to Oklahoma last week. I brought Jersey Mike for his first real visit to the state and his first time meeting my friends. It was fantastic and fun. I'd love to tell you all about it. But I can't right now. I can't focus on anything right now.  Upon returning to Los Angeles, I logged onto Twitter and started seeing headlines about the Charleston shooting. I immediately turned it off. At first I felt wrong about doing it. At first I felt like I should face it head-on, get angry, put on my activist hat and get to work.  But I didn't. I couldn't do it.  I'd just gotten home from being surrounded by love. Yes, being back in Oklahoma I heard conversations filled with intolerance. I needed to point out and shut down a few comments that were insensitive and just plain rude. That's something I've gotten used to when visiting home. I'm surrounded by liberals and hippies here in Los Angeles. We are a melting pot of colors,

Last Week in Pix + 2x2 - Long Weekend Bliss

Last week was STRESSFUL.  Work was the normal amount of unnecessary crap. Bad weather near my hometown was no fun at all.  Let's just say this long weekend could not have come at a better time.  FRIDAY; Raise A Glass For Oklahoma!  happened at SOUTH in Santa Monica. We are still waiting for the final report from the bar, but we are pretty sure we reached our goal to raise $1000 for Feed The Children in Oklahoma City. Check out the progress here: https://app.mobilecause.com/public/social/7524  It was great that people were down to help out. We had amazing raffle prizes, the bar is donating 15% of the night's sales, and a lot of Oklahomies showed up, which was just wonderful. And because the more we drank the more money the bar would donate...we drank a fair amount. SATURDAY & SUNDAY: Yoga did not happen. I tried really hard, but all of my donation drinking said no.  I finally got rolling in the afternoon, packed up my stuff and Sonic