Skip to main content

Then There Was That Time I Was An Extra

This is the story of how I was once an extra.
"Background," if you will. 

As many of you know I am basically unemployed currently. Among other things, this means I'll do just about anything to make some cash. So when Jersey Mike told me the production he was working on was looking for background actors – correction: PAID background actors – I jumped at the chance. 

The first day we filmed at the YouTube Stages in Marina Del Rey, Calif. It was really cool to see how corporate YouTubers do their thing. 


 I spent most of the day sitting around, reading my book. 


 (Gone Girl! I'm finally reading it and I'm IN LOVE with it. I've been distracted the last few days with really concentrating on writing and pitching and job applying, but I'm nearly finished with the book and can't wait to see how the craziness ends.)

Most of being an extra is pretty boring. Even when you're in a scene there are no speaking parts, obviously. So you sit or stand around pretending to talk to people, which is weird. I had so many fake conversations about "stuff" and "more stuff" and "super interesting stuff." In one take, my fellow extra decided we should act like we were a couple. This was slightly awkward, considering my boyfriend was standing right there recording sound. But, you know, acting and all that. 

Though there was a lot of sitting around my first day as an extra, there were also perks. 
1. Being inside the Internet. Surrounded by Googlers and YouTubers was pretty insane. 
2. The co-ed restrooms.


This weirded the shit out of me the first few times I went to the bathroom. The first time, I actually walked out and asked someone if I was in the wrong one. 

3. Getting to test out Google Glass. It's pretty badass, but I couldn't see walking around with those things on at all times. My first pair malfunctioned a bit. The glasses respond really well to commands, but being used to Siri's way threw me off quite a bit at first. I'm not sure if the glasses are more or less dangerous than searching on my phone. I would run into everything if I tried moving and searching all at once. Multi-tasking can be dangerous when technology is involved, folks.  Still, it was cool to get the chance to try them out. 
SCIENCE.

4. Props, like this sad poodle, made my day. (It doesn't take much, people.) 


The second day as an extra I took literally zero pictures. (Sorry) We were just in someone's backyard filming party scenes, so it wasn't anything super impressive. Hopefully when the project is complete I'll find it and point out all of my amazing work as background. I must have been good, because I got two SAG vouchers. I suppose that's also a perk. Basically I'm a pro now. I'm super Hollywooded out. 

Cut. That's a wrap.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

why wide awake?

i'm accepting the fact that i can't sleep. it's 2 a.m. and i'm going to be REALLY sorry in about four hours. i have a lot on my mind. usually when that happens i sleep a lot, which is what i've been doing the last week. perhaps i've used up all of my sleep hours. my little- doggie -sonic, on the other hand, has done nothing but sleep since i picked him up from doggie daycare today. YES!! sonic went to doggie daycare for the first time today. well, yesterday. since The Man left he has been really clingy and over protective. he growls and barks at every little thing, and he's always full of energy now that he is alone all day. i figured the best affordable solution is a day at doggie daycare each week. last weekend he passed his temperament test at The Pampered Pet , so we set his all day appointment. when i dropped him off wednesday morning it broke my heart. he didn't understand why i couldn't go with him to the play room. the lady had to pic

Last Week in Pix/ 2x2

Happy Sunday! This week was relatively quiet until Thursday rolled around. On Thursday my world sort of exploded. I entered a Twitter contest with DigitalLA for tickets to the advanced screening of the final Twilight movie. Immediately after entering, I got a text from Mike inviting me to a party thrown by the project he had been working on all week. I accepted, thinking there was no way I would win the Twitter contest.  Joke's on me. I won the contest and needed to be downtown for the movie at 5:30pm. The party was at 9pm. I rolled out of bed that morning, so I looked like luke warm crud. Trust me, it was bad. My plan had been to go home, nap, shower then head out to Hollywood for the party. But with this movie there wouldn't be time for that.  I started my trek downtown from the valley at 4:20. An hour and ten minutes would be enough time, right?  WRONG. Meet LA traffic. I did not make it by 5:30. I was thoroughly upset, called Chris (who had also won entry)

I'm tired of trying to explain

I went on a trip home to Oklahoma last week. I brought Jersey Mike for his first real visit to the state and his first time meeting my friends. It was fantastic and fun. I'd love to tell you all about it. But I can't right now. I can't focus on anything right now.  Upon returning to Los Angeles, I logged onto Twitter and started seeing headlines about the Charleston shooting. I immediately turned it off. At first I felt wrong about doing it. At first I felt like I should face it head-on, get angry, put on my activist hat and get to work.  But I didn't. I couldn't do it.  I'd just gotten home from being surrounded by love. Yes, being back in Oklahoma I heard conversations filled with intolerance. I needed to point out and shut down a few comments that were insensitive and just plain rude. That's something I've gotten used to when visiting home. I'm surrounded by liberals and hippies here in Los Angeles. We are a melting pot of colors,