Skip to main content

New Tune Review: Long.Live.A$AP

It's been awhile since you've gotten a review from me! Are you excited?

The issue was there was nothing that piqued my interest in the music world lately.

I know, weird.

The only album I felt was worth listening to was the new +Alicia Keys 'Girl on Fire' and...I'm not going to review that. It made me very sad. It's as if she's forgotten her biggest draw: she's an amazing pianist. That's my favorite thing about Alicia, mainly because I play. She also wastes a perfectly good collabo with Maxwell on 'Fire We Make'. The song is...underwhelming.

So, I'm not giving it an official review. Haha, "official."

I AM however going to review the album from A$AP Rocky.

'Long.Live.A$AP'

I may have been one of the only people not-so-anxiously anticipating this one. I wasn't very impressed with Live.Love.A$AP, the mixtape. Assumptions aside, 'Long.Live.A$AP' is currently my favorite album.

A$AP Rocky has figured out the perfect beats for his flow, something some rappers never learn. And man, the beats on this ALBUM. Every cut requires a more than satisfactory verse and A$AP delivers, most of the time. His guest stars bring plenty ammo to the table, making for a well-rounded album you can play from start to finish again and again.

The guest stars, to me, are the best part. Santigold, Drake, Skrillex, and Florence Welch all appear. Kendrick Lamar shows up not once, but twice on two of my favorite tracks. As for A$AP himself, he glides smoothly between the issues that plague most rappers (women, cash, and drugs). Just like everyone else, he's figuring out this new fandangled fame thing while managing a consistent high and jumping from party to hook up and back.

A$AP never claims to be an introspective rapper, so his lyrics aren't anything to rave about in most cases. In fact, they're mostly disrespectful to women and multiple attempts to prove just how hard, famous and rich he is. You'll catch him getting a bit deep in 'Phoenix' and 'Suddenly' but then he gets back to the business at him faster than you can sulk.

Fave Tracks:

Yikes. I'm skipping 'F**king Problem' because I've already shared that track with you. Just know it's an understood fave.

'1Train' - the TALENT on this track! Yelawolf...where's your next album?

'Fashion Killa' - this may be the only female-friendly song on this album...and it's only because she's holding the gun.

'Long Live A$AP' - a great opening track, sets the mood just right for the rest of the album as A$AP declares his spot among today's hiphop artists.

'Hell' - how can you not love a song with Santigold on the hook?

'I Come Apart' - how can you not love a song with Florence Welch on the hook? This song feels so different than any other on the album (except 'Fashion Killa' perhaps).

There you have it, my first review of 2013! 'Long.Live.A$AP' is eccentric. It's put together in a way that, upon first listen, you can't expect what could be around the corner on the next song. I love surprises (when the surprise is great music).

*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justice for Georgina, aka Go See Get Out Immediately

WARNING: ALL OF THE SPOILERS. LIKE, SO MANY SPOILERS. GO SEE THE MOVIE. THAT'S AN ORDER. 
In Get Out, the brilliant new Jordan Peele film, black people are used by white people's brains. 
That's the shortest explanation, as there are so many levels to the movie. I'm typically not one to see scary movies (I can't even get through Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video), but when I read about this movie's perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes and the raving reviews from critics, I had to go and support this film from a black director with black stars.

I'm not a fan of scary movies. They always give me nightmares. Before I saw the film, a coworker assured me that I wouldn't have nightmares after watching Get Out. He was right and wrong. I didn't have nightmares about monsters lurking in dark corners, but I stayed awake unpacking all of the themes and metaphors of the film. In doing so, a big part of why I wasn't afraid occurred to me: These …

Sex. Dirty, Dirty Sex

Friends, I have something I have to let you know - if you don't know already: Sex is disgusting. 
Seriously, think about it. Ew, don't think about it.  Yes, it feels fantastic. If you're with the right person at the right time it feels out-of-this-world incredible (fireworks, much?).  But have you ever stopped to think about what you're doing? Like, literally?
You're placing your most private parts into someone else's most private parts. Or allowing someone to place their most private parts into yours, depending on your gender/sexual preference. That's GROSS, people! Sure we ignore it because it just feels so damn good. But come on, ew!
Then throw on top of that the consequences of this nasty habit we have:  1. A baby. Oh yes, this is a consequence. Particularly if you're not currently in the market for an infant. I don't even want to think about what that does to the body. There's no turning back from a baby. Well, there is, but that's ano…

How The New Prince Album(s) Wrecked My Life – In The Best Possible Way

If you don't know, now you know: Prince dropped an album yesterday called ART OFFICIAL AGE, and also brought us the debut album from his chick trio 3RDEYEGIRL titled PLECTRUMELECTRUM. 
 The Almighty Prince has been teasing us with new music for quite awhile now, dropping singles like "Breakfast Can Wait" long before the new album was announced. But then came the catchy and sexy "U Know" and the news that Prince would give us the first breath of new music since 20Ten in 2010. 
I've spent all of yesterday and today listening to these albums and I'm still not done. No surprise: Prince is blowing my mind. I'm a sucker for an album that tells a story, and this one tells a tale that's futuristic and retrospective at the same damn time. How? Prince, that's how. There's a wondering feeling that the protagonist is trying to find his place in life and love, only to discover (with the help of a guiding being) that he is everything, everything is h…